Wednesday, June 20, 2012

summer solstice

Summer is here! Solstice is here (today!) This is what we're doing with our longer days:
throwing rocks in the lake 
throwing leaves in the lake 
throwing feathers in the lake
throwing sticks in the lake
throwing pine cones in the lake
retrieving lunch from the lake 

meeting new friends. [On our way home from a hike, Liesel and I stopped in to see Brian who was working the station. Someone had "freed" their pet rat in the park and another savvy visitor witnessed it and retrieved it. . . then brought it to Brian. If it I didn't have serious prejudice against rats, I may have considered keeping this guy as a pet. He was so sweet and lovable. . . it also kind of feels wrong to keep him as a pet but kill his little rodent cousins every night].  

hanging out in our puffies. . . this was last night and it was in the mid 30s. To pregnant and always hot me, this feels great. 
Breaking 80s for the first time (tomorrow according to the forecast)! Looks like the Tetons found out it was summer. . .  

hiking, hiking and more hiking. Phelps lake and Cascade Canyon were last weeks fun ones. 
identifying wildflowers,
having picnics
watching helicopters (ha-po's if you ask L) 
making bread and 
 picking flowers in the park (whoops)

meeting other new friends. 

photographing those friends in the early morning light
scaring my mom with this photo 
seeing a mom and 2 baby moose outside the cabin

answering questions about climbing conditions

Grilling everything.  . . I LOVE summer for this reason alone. Pizza on the grill is 100x more delicious.

eating outside
making smoothie popcicles
branch cookouts at Colter Bay
getting bigger by the day (I swear I'm growing 2x faster than last pregnancy)
soaking our feet in String Lake
collecting bugs
and generally just being outside 

4 comments:

The Gerharts said...

Whoa, awesome pictures! That grizzly is very scarey looking. Do you have an amazing zoom or was it really 50 feet away? I love the ones of L -- she is so inquisitive and cute! The pic of you and Bri is great. I hate rats, too, bleh, but what a neat photo. Love your posts, Ang!

Lindsey said...

Looks like FUN as always. Remember that time I came to visit and ended up being too terrified to actually fall asleep in the tent because of bears? And remember how I woke everyone up at 5:30 due to a tarantual on my FACE? Haha... Good times.

Ps I love your new camera. Great pics. I'm suuuupah jealous. Also, I like the pic of B and you. So tender.

Also, Liesel is so adorable. Still!

gc.hatch said...

I knew it! I just knew it! There ARE bears close to your cabin! What's a grandma to do? Well, at least I can look forward to eating that pizza on the grill if not sleeping on the front porch of the cabin!

Alvin said...

You guys should do one of those I'm a Mormon adds. I think you would win the prize for adventure...