Monday, April 15, 2013

big strides and growing up.

I should personally write Dora a letter and thank her for the 24 minutes of sanity she give me every day.  I got a little nervous after quizzing Liesel the day I took these: what did Boots loose? Blank stare. Where did they find the toy truck? Blank stare. How do you say 'open' in Spanish? Blank stare. Hmmm. Then I decided the necessity outweighed the concern. 

yes, I know I'm disobeying every child-rearing book by letting Hannah join in.
and am I the only one that finds this photo absolutely hilarious? 

And this little cookie went pee 2x in her potty today! I've known for a while now that I wanted to try with her. She seemed ready and I was hoping to have it done before going home to North Carolina. Last night I started to feel like I was holding her back a little; treating her too much like a baby when she needs to make those big girl strides (I'm thinking the end of the me-me is coming as well as the crib). Then, I woke up this morning to a rainy day (and a forecast for 2 more) and only dirty cloth diapers. That settled it. We ended up having water tea parties, reading several books in the bathroom and going through every pair of undies she owned. We'll see if I'm still sane in a few days . . .
any tips?

and as long as we're making strides . . .  
Hannah has been desperate to join the dinner table. Doc said to wait until 6 months, but what's five days? She will grab our hands when we're eating, throw her hand in our bowls and watch as every spoonful of food goes from plate to mouth. I couldn't deny her anymore.
 Pureed peas were a huge hit (see her little hand clutching the bowl)? She couldn't get enough! 

9 comments:

Lindsey said...

#1 maybe it's lame I just checked this and am commenting 6 min after the post

who cares

#2 this post made me laugh. esp that pic of Hannah clutching the bowl and her sitting up, buckled in in her "baby chair" haha...love that girl

#3 and it is just me or does Liesel look like such a big girl in those pants and sitting on a big girl chair! When did that happen. Love her.

Allison said...

Hannah is beautiful. Wow! Have fun potty training. I'm pretty sure that was my least favorite thing about being a mom. A distant second was immunizations. You were wise to not try sooner. Hey--maybe it will be easy. And...Go Dora!

Allison said...

Hannah is beautiful. Wow! Have fun potty training. I'm pretty sure that was my least favorite thing about being a mom. A distant second was immunizations. You were wise to not try sooner. Hey--maybe it will be easy. And...Go Dora!

sNick said...

Liesel looks like your spitting image in pic 3.

gc.hatch said...

With Hannah and Liesel outdoors as much as they are, exposed to nature on a near constant basis, I don't think you need to worry about 30 minutes of DORA. Especially since it gives you a little "mommy is going crazy and I need a break" time. Kudoos to you for starting Liesel on potty training. I agree with you, that would be nice to have finished before coming to grandma's house. Looks like Hannah's time has come for solid food. It's so funny when they watch the food go from your plate to your mouth and start to grab the spoon.

Emily said...

Big strides indeed! Way to go, Hays ladies! I love the picture of Hannah watching the show (and by the way, whoever recommended no TV under 2 was clearly an only child - there's no way when you have more than one to keep that up). And I love the pictures of Liesel. She's so big! I'm so excited to meet Hannah (and love on that cute pudgy baby) and spend time with you and L this summer! And congrats on sticking with the potty training. You're amazing, Ang!

Laura Anderson said...

Try a jelly bean or a mini marshmallow for staying dry or using the potty.

Your race in the other post looked amazing, and congratulations for being up to the challenge only a few months after pregnancy.

And ... we're thinking of a trip to Moab this fall! When would be a good time?

The Gerharts said...

I just love this post! Kudos that you limit tv to only 30 mins, ha! I love the picture of Hannah sitting straight up, buckled in and joining in! Congrads to YOU for potty training Liesel! It's so much more work for mom, but way to go Liesel -- such a big girl now!

Catherine said...

I love these photos!