Monday, April 22, 2013

Who knew I would have so much to say about going potty.

how she strolled around the majority all of last week.
the princess stickers are definitely more motivating than the amazing student and reading is fun stickers. . .  wonder why?! :) 

the baby and the big girl 
because I'm too cute. 
Yes this is my second potty post. You can tell I'm a first time mom in this department. But I want to remember this so next time I'm going through it, I won't give up.

Last week I was only getting started and after a full week I can say that we are over the hump! I feel somewhat silly saying this, but I am SO PROUD of Liesel. Like, my chest is about to pop out of my shirt (and that's not just because Hannah has suddenly decided to sleep through the night). I started out feeling optimistic and not really knowing what to expect. 

After cleaning up puddles of pee all over the house and spending ALL DAY working toward potty training (singing "eensy weensey spider, all of "lets sing together", pat-a-cake, reading books, begging, pleading, bribing . . . all in our little bathroom) for FOUR DAYS I was at a complete low point. We taught her doll how to pee (it drinks water and then pees on a potty). We sang potty songs. People in her story books were suddenly potty trained. I tried jelly beans, M&Ms, stickers and timing every 10 minutes. We did orange juice tea parties, drank water while playing in the sink and consumed so much liquid I was sure she would burst. We even prayed for help. Every time she used the potty (she was bound to, we spent about 5 hours in there!) we called daddy, grandma or Aunt Emily. Why was I such a slave driver you ask? Because I didn't feel like I could leave the needles or make the 1.5hr drive until it connected. And I literally cannot stay down here for more than 8 days in a row. I turn into something terrible that lives under bridges and eats goats. 

I only had (have) 4 pair of undies and was washing all day long. The weather was horrible, I had hardly gone outside or anywhere at all and had cleaned up 4 accidents that morning. Every time she had an accident we would practice running to the potty and sitting. She knew that she was supposed to go in the potty and that she should hurry. She kept saying, "I'm proud of you mommy!" because that's what I kept saying and she could tell I was getting down.  I was starting to doubt myself and Liesel. I called my sister and she told me that Liesel hadn't made the connection that she could control it yet and to be patient with her (too late-- which I why I wanted to give up. I felt like a horrible mom!). Brian was also doubtful and said it was too early and she wasn't ready. But I decided Emily was right and to keep at it. Plus the thought of doing all of this again sounded terrifying. 

And then a miracle happened. She woke up from her nap dry, and then went on the potty right after nap. And something connected. She got her M&M. This happened two more times that evening and then the next day she didn't have a single accident. That said, I had to put her on the potty whenever I thought it was about time -- but she went every time! Amazing! I was so thrilled I think I may have scared her. We called daddy. He was so excited. When he got home we all drove to the Needles outpost and let her pick out a treat. She chose M&Ms and kept saying the whole way home, "you do a good job using da potty! You do a good job!" 

The next day we went to town and she stayed dry almost the whole day. No accidents on the long drive even! I kept asking her if she was dry and she would say, "OH! Still dryyyyy!" with a smile. So cute. She used the potty at Heidi's house, the library, City Market, the park and then home again. She only had one accident. I ran into my friend Natalie at Subway and when I told her I was potty-training this week she looked at me and said, "You are a good mom!. . .I always want someone to tell me that when I'm potty-training." So it wasn't just me that feels the guilt I guess! 

Sunday (5 hours) she didn't have a single accident. Today she's doing great too and even caught herself in an accident and stopped and went potty.

The most amazing thing to me is how her confidence has grown. She suddenly wants to do more things on her own and recognizes that she's a big girl and can do hard things. I realized that I should allow her to do more on her own and give her a little more responsibility. . . and that she loved all the mommy attention from last week. 

Needless to say, Brian and I are so proud of her! 

7 comments:

Allison said...

Bands playing, horns honking, fireworks: go Liesel. Go Liesel's mommy!

Jerry said...

Yipee! Way to go, Liesel! You are such a big girl! Aunt Emily is so proud of you for working so hard and becoming such a big girl! (And way to go, Angela, for not giving up! It's tough work, but you did it!)

Lindsey said...

awwwwwww she's growin up...*tear*

xox

The Gerharts said...

Congratulations, Liesel! And Angela, too. You did it! Great job

Catherine said...

YEAH! So glad you made it through your first potty-training experience. I'm pretty sure it's more of an accomplishment for the parents than for the kids. :) I'm just wondering what you look like when you turn into the thing that eats goats under the bridge.

Jana said...

Oh my gosh! Hanna is too cute! Look at that chubby face.

-Kev

gc.hatch said...

I so proud of YOU and Liesel! It's just as much an accomplishment for you and it is for her! You've never trained someone to use the toilet before and you DID IT! Woo-hoo!