Sunday, November 25, 2012

future crack climbers

Indian Creek is a hugely popular Thanksgiving destination. Everyone from Boulder, CO (or even if they aren't from Boulder, CO-- they will tell you they are) loads their dog and their weed in the car and heads down for the week in their Subaru, Outback. You can't get in unless you're wearing a Patagonia puffy and a beanie from Cusco, Peru. Jk. . . sort of. 

We live at Indian Creek. Basically. And we finally made it out to the crag last Tuesday after 2.5 months living here. It was my first time climbing in six months. It felt so good to be back in my harness (well, good except for the fact that wearing a harness never feels that good and it definitely accentuates my postpartum inner-tube). 

Matt on 3am crack. This was my first Indian Creek crack climb back when Brian and I were dating in 2007. I think I still have a few scars. The first time it took me 45 minutes. Luckily, I was faster this time. 
 Allison and Hannah hanging out at the crag. 

One of Liesel's favorite pastimes: sneaking into the snack bag. Also on the list: wrapping up rocks in her dolly blankie and saying "little little tiny ______." (that ranged this week from a Box Elder beetle to the Colorado River). 
Bandme. We can't really do this on our own, but Allison and Matt and their killer baby-sitting skills made it possible. I have to say that both kids were overall pretty darn good at the crag all day and the other climbers didn't seem to mind (some were pretty interested actually) our kiddos. 
 All Indian Creek photos of me are booty shots. I shouldn't post them, but I do anyway. Climbing crack consists of jamming your hands and feet into the vertical crack and climbing it like a ladder. The Creek is a hugely popular Thanksgiving destination and it was packed with climbers who always say they are from Boulder, CO. 

Allison and Liesel watching Brian climb. 

The next day I was sore I could barely pick Hannah up. But now that I feel fine again we're going back tomorrow for more hand jams and sandstone. 

4 comments:

Mary Grace said...

does anyone ever say they are from boulder utah? that would be cooler. also, i am jealous that your kiddos get raised in national parks. and two of the best ones at that. and proud of you for crack climbing so soon after having Hannah. i will have to get your advice on some good post partum adventure activities :)

Leslie said...

looks so fun! I can't wait to strap on a harness again.

Lindsey said...

GIRL WHERE IS THE T-GIVING UPDATE!? with me included

Catherine said...

Work them booty shots. :)