Saturday, November 3, 2012

the ghost says "boo"

Halloween was so much fun this year. I was surprised at how much Liesel loved it, especially considering I had been informed that 2-year-olds didn't really "get" it. But she got it. And she loved it. I was going to dress her up at the Chiquita Banana lady (with fruit on her head and a ruffle shirt) but the morning of Halloween when we talked about making her a costume, she said she wanted to be a ghost. So, a ghost she was. I think it stemmed from Halloween Hats-- a book we had been reading about trick-or-treating and she was kind of obsessed with the boy dressed as a ghost. 
All night she talked about her "ghost costume" and if you asked her what a ghost says, she would promptly say "BOO!" Since we live at the Needles with all adults, we figured we better pre-plant some treats in the neighborhood for her. So I went around about 30 minutes prior and asked gave out candy for them to give back her her. Unconventional, but completely worth it. She LOVED it. We went door to door and she would knock, say "trick-or-treat" and "happy halloween!" Brian and I were beaming holding her hand and watching her in all of her cuteness. She managed to score some serious loot. The rangers really came through and gave her way more than we had pre-cached. She had one moment that she now calls "a little bit scary" when one of the women dressed up as an owl and came to the door. I have never seen Liesel more scared in my life. She was screaming, crying and clinging to me. It didn't take long to get her settled down, but I felt bad for the women who had taken the time to dress up for her! 

She didn't really know what candy was, and she ate her clementine and string cheese once we got home and a packaged cookie someone gave her. Since then her stash has decreased in size . . . although I don't think Liesel's had another piece (whoops).

Halloween was a big success. It makes me so excited for the upcoming holidays!

6 comments:

Fern said...

I just cannot get over how much Liesel looks like you! It seriously blows my mind.
People who say two year olds "don't get" Halloween be trippin! My two year old LOVED it.

Mary Grace said...

i love that your kid doesnt know what candy is and just eats clementines... hah. i just love everything about your halloween, from L choosing her own costume to the candy caches to having a scary moment. it made me laugh out loud. miss you kids.

Lindsey said...

....and I get to spend TWO holidays with you guys! So excited.

I LOVE the ghost costume. She is just soooo cute.

Also. Ang. I hope you gave her some candy on Halloween. I think if she had one piece she would figure it out really quickly....

Jerry said...

So very, very cute! I love the costume and the fact that you handed out candy to have handed out to Liesel. And that you carved pumpkins. What fun!

The Gerharts said...

I love the ghost costume and love Liesel's expressions in these pictures! You can tell she totally GETS IT and loved every minute!

gc.hatch said...

Those pictures turned out great! I'm so happy she had such a good time and more happy that the parents had such a good time watching her!