Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mr. Sandman

It's no secret that new moms don't get much sleep. By much, I mean just about every morning you wake up feeling like you've been hit by truck. All other moms want to know is "how is she sleeping at night?" because they know. But guess what? This week Hannah hits the 6 week mark. The magical hump that means you've made it. You've crested over the hill of unsustainable no-sleep nights and are now entering the sustainable no-sleep nights. I still feel tired. And every morning I drag Hannah into bed hoping that I can get her to fall back asleep for a few more moments of coveted zzzz's. And as soon as we both start to drift off again I hear Liesel singing Old McDonald and yelling "gee out!" or Brian flushes our toilet (or in other words launches a missile from our bathroom-- have you ever flushed a low water toilet? It is ridiculous). And I have to pull the pillow from over my head and acknowledge that the day is ready to start regardless of my energy level. 
 But then she walks in.  And says "gee up." 
and jumps on the bed. And falls on the bed. And nearly crushes Hannah (again). 
 and I hear her laugh
 and I look at my chubby little angel who is now wide awake 
 and I give my girls a hug and kiss
 and the day begins. 

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Girl, I love you. I love the way you write. It makes me feel like I'm there (but let's be honest I don't know what it is like to have a train wreck feel every morning - in the mother sense at least).

Love those pics of the babes. Can't wait til Christmas!

Allison said...

Such cute, unnaffected photos of bedhead Liesel. I hope you get even more sleep this week. Happy day, Liesel!

The Gerharts said...

Ha ha! You forgot the part about trying to get the 2 year old to sleep with you just a little longer, only to have her carry on a constant monologue and pull your hair and demand that you "move over" and "where's my pillow?" until you fall off the bed yourself, stripped of all blankets, pillows, and sanity . . .

gc.hatch said...

Oh my goodness! This brings back memories. The toddlers are ALWAYS awake and ready for the day before mommy is. ESPECIALLY when there's a new baby in the house. Getting enough sleep for the adults in the house is so hard! But Liesel is so cute that you really can't get annoyed when she toddles in with the bed hair!

Catherine said...

I love these photos! I wish I had 2 little adorable munchkins to greet me every morning (although I don't envy those sleep-deprived nights!). Congrats on making it past 6 weeks!