Sunday, November 11, 2012

these are the days

 There are a few awesome things about growing up in the tail end of a family of seven. If my older siblings said it was cool, then it. was. cool. 

Ben & Jerry's wasn't just an ice cream, it was the coolest spot on Franklin St. and I was desperate for one of their t-shirts with cows. I remember my sister's U2 posters and awful hats (remember Blossom?). Emily at one point went through a Billy Joel phase and to this day I really really really love me some Billy Joel (she also went through a serious Reba McEntire phase and although I remember shedding some tears to Fancy and The Greatest Man I Ever Knew, that one didn't make a lasting impression-- thank goodness). 

There is one Billy Joel song that goes "these are the days to hold on to, cause we won't although we'll want to. . ." Time is flying by. I can't believe we're 12 days into November. I can't believe Brian and I just celebrated our 5th anniversary. I can't believe I'm turning 30 in two months. I can't believe Liesel is almost 2 and Hannah will be 1 month old in a week. 

There was a conference talk recently where a women talked about looking at a photograph of she and her young children on a blanket and wishing that she had just slowed down a little bit more and enjoyed them. That she hadn't been so rushed to get bath time over, or put them down for naps or check this or that off so she could go onto the next thing. That is one benefit of living down here at the Needles (that and the fact that since there is no social life to be had, I can go to bed guilt free at 7:30pm).  . . I find myself doing things a little slower. 

Which means I get to spend more time looking at these curls. And watching Liesel watching daddy and Hannah through the Boppy. And play puzzles. And rock Hannah. And hug my girls. And play in the snow. And dry tears. And change diapers. And sing songs. And play motor boat. And take pictures. 


And there's another reason to hold onto these days. . . I'm not gonna lie. I am bummed about the election results. I know not everyone who checks this blog feels the same way I do, but I was really rooting for Mitt.  Things obviously things didn't go the way my election map predicted:
 But that is the great thing about living in this nation-- everyone has a voice and the voice of the people chose Obama. And while I wish I could have voted in say, Florida, where it really seems like you have a voice (lets be honest-- EVERYONE knows how Utah was going to vote)-- at least I get a voice. But I worry that the voice of the people wants bigger government, more handouts, less religion and a looser moral code.

 I saw a chocolate bar today in the shape of a dollar bill that said "In Santa We Trust" and I kind of think that is exactly what America wants these days. 
Either way, this little one is lucky to be born in the USA and watch her first presidential election results roll in . . . I wonder what America will be like when she's my age? 

6 comments:

Allison said...

I like how Liesel's hair is getting so curly! Can't wait to see you all. Especially Hannah.

Emily said...

Great, thoughtful post, Ang. Time does fly by and you are blessed to realize when your children are young how valuable that time is. Glad you are enjoying it.

Also, where the heck did L get all those curls? I will forever be jealous. And for the record, Reba's song was "The Greatest Man I NEVER Knew." I can't believe that didn't sink in back in the days... :)

sNick said...

We're going to give her a good America, Ang. People are waking up, and there are some REALLY good people in the United States. 49% of this country voted with us, and we only need 10%, as long as we have the truth and we're unshakable in our defense of it: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110725190044.htm

And don't let my blog post fool you, there has been plenty of weeping and wailing going on around here. :)

sNick said...

P.S. Liesel's curls are beautiful.

Your whole post reminded me of Neal A. Maxwell's quote:

"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sound of lullabies? The great armistices made by military men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchens prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will still be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time."

gc.hatch said...

One regret you won't have is wishing you had spent more time with the children. Painting is one thing I didn't do with Liesel while I was there. I'm glad she had something "new" to do when I left. I like that last picture of me in the rocking chair with Liesel.

The Gerharts said...

Love the curls! So cute! I love the picture of mom with Liesel, and the painting. Coming from a mom of 5 who is hitting a milestone of getting rid of all baby stuff, I totally agree. I used to feel that I would in the "preschool mom" phase forever, but I see they are ending way too soon! I love that you are enjoying the moment. Seeing the every day!