Monday, December 3, 2012

at the crag

me nearing the top of Rock Lobster
The day Lindsey left the Needles and headed back up to SLC, Van and Kendra (friends from up North at Grand Teton) arrived. We ate burgers and waldorf salad (which for some reason has become a sort of obsession for me-- I never had craving during pregnancy but now all of the sudden. . .) and hit the sack my style at 9pm.
These guys are either serious troopers or desperate to climb. They insisted (or did I insist?) that they didn't mind having two kids at the base of the climb. We drove out to Broken Tooth and I hiked up with Liesel and Hannah while they hurried ahead and set up the climb. 
Brian leading on the left and Hannah crashed out on my lap for a mini-nap. 
Liesel's Jackson Pollock on the sandstone. Instead of Number 1 she's naming it 5.10. Sidenote: sandstone pebbles make great erasers. 
This is perhaps the first non-booty shot of me climbing ever. And the sad thing is, I told Brian to take it. Truth hurts. 
doing double duty with the babes-- you know, just 40+ lbs of little people plus soggy diapers and gear. NBD. 
I didn't want to push my luck and chase Van and Kendra off forever, so I hiked down mid-day to put the chitlins to bed. Although I abandoned my resolve the next day when Kendra volunteered to carry Hannah and food/H2O for the two of us to Paul Bunyun's potty. After an 8-mile sand slog and 5 hours of baby talk we may never be seeing them again. . . 

Meanwhile B was climbing one of the Bridger Jack's with Van. 

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Dude I can't believe you carried both kids. I knew it wouldn't take you long to sport a baby on the front and back. PS- your load was most def. heavier than anyone else's pack on the entire crag. You're tough.

Catherine said...

Woah, you climbed and hiked with 2 kiddos. I knew if anyone could do it, you would. Love you!