Thursday, December 13, 2012

the open road

 there is a lot of space between my house


and yours
a lot of beautiful open space
i may not have an easy time getting eggs
when mine run out
but i saw an owl on my run
over the slickrock and through a canyon
and a golden eagle as i drove.
sometimes the 90 minutes to town 
(and we really do say, "to town")
are filled with tears and pleas for dvds
but sometimes it's peaceful
or we sing songs
E-I-E-I-O
or we chat as we go
about 'beautiful beautiful little tiny stars'
or point out the horses
or the cows eating who-knows-what 
as they trample around the desert sage
next I should teach Liesel Home on the Range
it is quiet here
so quiet 
i don't think it could be more quiet than this quiet
so it's a good thing i have two littles
who make so much noise
and sisters who call so the phone rings often
and friends who make the trek all the way
down
here
to the beautiful open space that's home
for
now. 



5 comments:

Allison said...

I've been trying to describe how quiet it was out there the moment I stepped out of my car for Thanksgiving. I don't think anybody understands the Needles, Canyonlands quiet. It's certainly quieter than even Chaco Canyon. I like it! Owls and eagles--bonus!!

sNick said...

Those are beautiful shots, Ang. Next time I'm down I want to talk photography.

Lindsey said...

I love you, Ang!

The Gerharts said...

So poetic, Angela. Your language is perfect! Love the beautiful nature shots. Good job with the camera! You are such a pro!

emily marie said...

You make a wonderful home wherever you are! Sorry I never made it out there, I'll still try! Your girls are precious and you are the prettiest mom-wife-woman. You really do it all!