Sunday, January 13, 2013

Janus and I go way back.

another year is starting. Actually the month is half gone already. It is incredible how fast time is moving. Something felt heavy about the day today. Maybe it was the unmet expectation that I would be driving away. That I would be in the car going somewhere where people are. And instead I woke up to snow and felt trapped. Liesel must have known it also and got out her frustration by biting me and refusing to take a nap. 
Sometimes I feel inclined to feel sorry for myself or imagine my "golden ticket"-- as soon as we buy a house, then I'll be happy. Or as soon as I can grow a garden. Or as soon as I can milk a goat and make cheese. Or have a dance party. Or ride my bike to City Market again . . . Then I think about the Pioneers and my pity party seems shallow (am I the only one that compares everything they do to the Pioneers???). 

My kids are healthy and vibrant. We have employment and plenty of food. The scenery is truly beautiful. Brian makes me laugh and he works hard. I have a telephone and can call my family when I'm lonely. And my list of abundance goes on and on. So I guess what I'm saying is, even though 2013 may not be starting ideally, it is starting ideally. You know what I mean?  

This year I resolve to:

1) learn to play the simplified hymns on piano
2) read the D&C (I never have. . . should I admit that?)
3) do a trail run race
4) climb mt. Moran 
5) get dressed (more often)


I'm looking forward to:

1) greater stability
2) Hatch beach reunion in July!!!
3) watching my girls learn & grow
4) not being pregnant
5) Brian being one year closer to graduating
6) my calling as RS teacher
7) turning 30

I'm nervous for:

1) the cabin at the Tetons with two kids
2) watching my girls learn&grow
3) moving again (and then again)
4) aging


Ok 2013. Here we go. 



3 comments:

Allison said...

Reading this reminds me of how I felt in Januarys at Chaco Canyon. There's nothing like not being able to even leave for a Sunday thanks to the elements. Not to mention less sunshine hours in January. Luckily, the seasons change...inexorably. :)

Emily said...

What a good attitude you have, girl! Bring on 20-13!

Gary said...

Great goals! Great philosophy!